On the occasion on Mahashivratri, I decided to make Sabudana (Tapioca/Sago) vadas (cutlets) as I was fasting. But this time I tried to bake them instead of frying them. Making Sabudana Vadas in Appe pan is also a good idea. But as I don’t have an Appe pan, I decided for the baking option (as I am counting my calories 😉 )
Sabudana Vada is a very popular Maharashtrian snack but now it has become quite popular throughout India. Its main ingredients are sabudana and potato and hence it has gained popularity as a snack to be eaten while observing fasts.
One piece of fried Sabudana vada contains about 75 calories (approx). But I think the baked version would contain around 50 calories per vada.
Before beginning the recipe I will talk a little about Soaking the Sabudana as it is a very tricky ingredient.
Here are some tips on Soaking the Sabudana
1. Before soaking the Sabudana, thoroughly rinse it at least four times. When you rinse it you will see some white start floating on water. This starch makes the Sabudana sticky. Hence it is very important to wash off the this starch as much as possible.
2. Soak the sabudana in water for about 40 minutes. After the sabudana is submerged in water, the water level must be at least half-inch above the submerged sabudana.
3. After 40 minutes drain the excess water and keep the sabudana covered in a container overnight (around 8 hours)
4. After the whole process sabudana will become double in size. So if you are planning to make a dish out of sabudana in the morning soak it overnight. If you want to use sabudana in the evening then you can also do the soaking process in the morning.
Now lets moving on to the Ingredients required to make the Sabudana Vadas
1 1/2 cup soaked Sabudana
2 large-sized potatoes – boiled, peeled and mashed
1-2 green chillies – finely chopped
1 inch piece of ginger – grated
1 tsp jeera (Cumin) powder
3 tbsp peanuts – roasted and coarsely ground
Salt as per taste
Oil for brushing on the Baking tray
1/4 cup coriander finely chopped
This quantity will yield around 8- 10 sabudana vadas
1. Pre- heat the oven at 180°C for about 15 minutes.
2. Take the sabudana, peanuts, green chillies, coriander, ginger,salt and cumin powder in a container and mix well..
3. Now add the mashed boiled potatoes and mix well .
4. Make sure that all the spices are evenly mixed into the mixture.
5. Apply some oil on your hands and make cutlets/ patties from this mixture.
6. Take a baking tray and brush some oil on the tray before placing the sabudana vadas.
7. After about 12 minutes into baking, flip the vadas on the other side and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
8. Serve these vadas with fresh green chutney.