Leftovers… is a big task; which every cook needs to tackle on a day-to-day basis.
Sometimes it is very boring to eat the same thing again. And hence, we innovate.
In my house; we are just two people.. and no matter how calculative I am while cooking, something or the other is always left over. My husband and I don’t like throwing away food and hence we try to find all possible ways of recycling food.
The most common option that I use is making Parathas (indian bread) of whatever subzi (vegetable /curry) or dal is left. I have also tried making Gatte ki sabzi from leftover rice. It has also turned out yummy.
But sometimes you require something different yet easy to cook. So I came out with this recipe – DAL CHAWAL DISKS
Preparation time – 20 minutes
Serving – around 15-18 cutlets of 3 cm diameter each.
Calorie count – around 45 calories per cutlet
1 Cup – Steamed rice (I had used leftover rice)
1 Cup – Cooked dal (any). I had used cooked moong daal.
1 1/2 cup – Poha (Flattened rice)
1 – large onion (finely chopped)
1/2 cup – corn (boiled)
1/2 cup – green peas (boiled)
1/2 cup – coriander (finely chopped)
Green chillies- finely chopped as per taste
Salt- as per taste
1/2 tsp – Chaat masala
1 tsp – Jeera (cumin ) powder
1 tbsp – lemon juice
1/2 cup – Grated cheese (optional)
3 tsp oil (approx)
1. First mix the dal and poha together and let the poha soften. It will take about 3-4 minutes.
2. Now add the rice and mix well. Mash the mixture with hands or masher.
3. If you feel that the poha is still hard then add some water depending on the consistency of the mixture.
4. Now add all the other ingredients and mix well.
5. Now make small cutlets out of this mixture. My cutlets were around three centimeter in diameter.
6. Take a non stick pan and heat it.
7. Once it is hot add 1 tsp oil to the pan and place the cutlets. Cover the pan with a lid.
8. Once the cutlets have turned golden brown flip them over and cook them till they are brown from the other side as well.
9. For every batch add 1 tsp oil to the pan.
10. Serve hot with chutney or sauce.
I had cooked 7 cutlets in each batch.
If you want you can also fry the cutlets. For frying coat them with bread crumbs.