Risotto is basically an Italian recipe made from Arborio Rice also popularly known as risotto rice. The basic recipe involves cooking the arborio rice in stock/broth; till it reaches a creamy consistency.
I have tried to make a fusion dish out of this Italian classic. The method of cooking is same but I have tweaked the recipe to a quite some extent. I have attempted to make an Italian Indian fusion recipe. And trust me it turned out amazing 🙂
Serving : 4 portions.
Cooking time – 30-35 minutes.
2 cups – Arborio/Risotto Rice
400 grams Pumpkin – diced into small cubes
1 onion (medium-sized) – finely chopped
6-8 cups – Water (approx)
6 Curry leaves
10 Methi /Fenugreek Seeds (optional).
1/3 tsp Hing/ Asafoetida. If the Hing is very strong, then just a pinch would be enough.
Red chillies – finely chopped (as per taste)
2 tbsp – Oil
1 tsp – Mustard seeds
2 tsp – Pumpkin Seeds (Optional)
Salt as per taste
- Take about 150 grams of Pumpkin cubes and boil them in about 2 cups of water.
- Once the pumpkin cubes become soft , puree them.
- Heat around 2 tbsp Oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot add mustard seeds and let them temper.
- Now add Hing/ Asafoetida, curry leaves and onions and let them cook.
- Once the onions start turning pink, add the remaining pumpkin cubes. Stir on high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Now add Risotto rice and stir for about 20 seconds on high heat.
- Add 1 cup water to the rice, and let it simmer.
- Once the rice soaks up all the water add the pumpkin puree.
- At this stage add the salt and red chillies. Let the rice simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add 1 cup of water and let it simmer for about 2-3 minutes
- Continue stirring on low heat and adding 1 cup water at a time till the rice is cooked. But keep in mind that the rice should not be too thick or too runny.
- The Fusion Pumpkin Risotto is ready to be served.