We all crave for something sweet sometime or the other. And it is a bonus if we can eat something which is sweet and healthy at the same time.
Here is one such dish which is sweet, yet has no sugar (has honey instead) and is nutritious and healthy at the same time. My version of carrot cookies – Multi-grain Carrot cookies. It is a perfect option for sweet cravings or for snacking in between meals.
Quantity – 18-20 cookies
Calories – Around 50 calories per cookie (of 20 gm)
Preparation time – 30 minutes
2 Carrots (medium sized) – finely grated
1 cup whole oats – finely ground
3/4 cup – wheat flour
3/4 cup – maize flour (makke ka atta). You can also use corn meal
3/4 cup – Jowar flour (sorghum flour)
15 Cashews – finely chopped
15 Almonds – finely chopped
15 Pistachios – finely chopped
4-5 tablespoon Honey
2 tablespoon Oil
2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
1/2 teaspoon Lemon Zest
3 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
Pinch of Salt
1. Pre- heat the oven at 190° C
2. In a big bowl mix the grated carrots, egg, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and honey together. Make sure the mixture is properly mixed
3. In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients – ground oats, wheat flour, maize flour, jowar atta, baking powder, cinnamon powder , cashews, almonds, pistachios and salt together.
4. Now gradually add the dry ingredients in the carrot mixture and mix properly. Make sure that everything is mixed evenly.
5. For each cookie take one tablespoon of the batter, make a ball and place it on the baking tray. Flatten it just a little with your hands.
6. Repeat the process for all the cookies. From this cookie dough you will get about 18- 20 cookies
7. Bake the cookies for about 10-12 minutes at 190°c.
Some Important points:
1. You can use any other flour you want. You can also use semolina to add a little crunch to the cookies.
2. Apart from cashews, almonds and pistachios; you can also use walnuts and raisins. They also go well with the carrot.