The World of Books
(Last Updated On: October 19, 2016)

aunty

This is a serious post and has no pun intended  😉  😛

This happened with me a few days back…

I was browsing through Facebook. A young college fellow; one amongst my close acquaintance had won something and posted it on Facebook. So I congratulated him. I got the reply,”Thank you Atya”. For those of you who don’t know marathi, Atya is Bua/Aunty. Earlier, before my marriage he used to call me Tai (elder sister). I wondered what is wrong with him. I also noticed that my brother had also commented on this particular post and had got the reply ,”Thank You Dada”. Dada is elder brother in Marathi.And let me tell you, the age difference between me and my brother is only two years After seeing this I kept staring at the screen for quite sometime. I was rather amused.

I am sure many of you might have experienced the same at some point or the other. It’s as if post marriage we age over 15-20 years in just one day. In a single day we become bhabhi ji and aunty ji from didi and bitiya/beta.

Men don’t become uncle ji.. So why only us???

Ok!!we have a responsibility. But what has it got to do with age. In spite of the responsibilities women always remain young girls at heart ready to be pampered and wooed by their loved ones.

0 thoughts on “Aunty – Post Marriage Title for Indian Women”

crystalamay · October 18, 2016 at 10:19 am

Ya even I don’t like the term aunty were they say you look like aunty,tat aunty term only should not exist.nice post.

Prajakta · October 18, 2016 at 10:41 am

Thanks a lot. I went through your blog. its very nice. I really liked it 🙂

boundlessblessingsblog · October 18, 2016 at 10:59 am

Absolutely true and why only with girls or women and why not with them. This is not good and you have written it so well, Prajakta. This is our society in its foolishness.

Dheeraj Dave · October 18, 2016 at 11:47 am

Nice post prajakta…and hr aurat ke dil me chhoti si bacchi hoti he jo taumra jawaan rahti he..

Sonali@foodtravelandmakeup · October 18, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Great post…

Goin' the extra...aaamile · October 18, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Now this is an interesting post.

Cattie's World · October 18, 2016 at 1:45 pm

I hate that “Aunty” word. Just after you get married, you get branded as “Aunty”, even if the age gap is just 5 years !! How disgusting.
That’s why in other countries, children address their parents and elders by name itself.
You should reply back to the person who uses these “Age Labels for Only Women”, and say Thank You Uncleji or Thank You Baba.

my valiant soul · October 18, 2016 at 2:21 pm

The idea is so well written.

Ashik T M · October 18, 2016 at 5:04 pm

I am recollecting the song Aunty ji Aunty ji get up and dance😅😅.next time when some body calls you aunty show them with some nice moves and make them realise you are fully charged.☺Trust me this will work👍👍

Akhila · October 19, 2016 at 8:30 am

Men don’t become uncle ji.. So why only us???

Good question praja…just reply to him in the same coin..

Vivek Vatsal1 · October 19, 2016 at 8:43 am

I agree!!

Prajakta · October 19, 2016 at 9:31 am

I think I should better call such ppl as dadaji instead of uncle ki.. for having such primitive thoughts 😈

parijat shukla · October 19, 2016 at 9:25 am

Who says men dont become uncle ? 🙂 Initially i would get little upset and address back my uncle caller as uncle or aunty but i am at peace now and do not give it much importance 🙂

Prajakta · October 19, 2016 at 9:32 am

With age.. ok .. but immediately after marriage.. I think that’s unfair

parijat shukla · October 19, 2016 at 9:42 am

In india its more of a habit thing to address people as uncle/aunty but yes it feels bad to hear it from people only few years younger.

Prajakta · October 19, 2016 at 12:31 pm

True. Now a days its becoming a method of insulting people in some areas

Sudhir Chauhan · October 19, 2016 at 9:47 am

first of all I liked the title….. but yes men also become uncle and that too early….. in Delhi NCR it has become a culture to say that…….. nice post……

Prajakta · October 19, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Thank you.. Yes I have seen that on television. On Delhi now a day every older guy is uncle for teenagers

Ξnigma · October 19, 2016 at 4:55 pm

I don’t know about others, but I add aunty and uncle just to tease them. Also, no partiality from my side.

Alok Singhal · October 19, 2016 at 5:35 pm

My wife experienced the same as well, though she was not even 30 then 🙂

MinionSays · October 20, 2016 at 1:52 pm

haha .. I have seen cases where people older than my mom refer my dad as bhaisaab/sir n maa as “aunty”. Ironic but true

Nikita · November 10, 2016 at 1:14 am

One of the shopkeepers called me aunty because he saw me wearing a suit dupatta and sindoor . I asked him how old he was..10 years older to me. I slapped him so hard that day , he won’t say aunty to anyone again
lol

Prajakta · November 10, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Hahaha.. nice reply 🙂 🙂

Fatindianchick · February 22, 2017 at 8:43 am

its definitely a tragedy most of us face :p 🙂

Shubham Hagavane · March 13, 2017 at 12:18 pm

Awesome!

Prajakta · March 15, 2017 at 7:41 am

Thank you so much for reading the post. I am glad you liked it ☺