As the scorching heat of the summer increases, appetite goes for a toss. Usually we don’t feel like eating our regular food. Summer calls for food that is vibrant, fresh, tangy and yummy. In short we want “chatpata khana” all the time.
And what is better than Chaat to beat the heat. In the times of calorie counting and healthy eating, out favourite chaat items may not rank high on the healthy food index. But there are ways of making things healthier.
Here is my version of a healthy chaat item “Mixed Vegetable Chaat”. It can be served as a side dish or a main salad meal. It’s a complete meal as it has all the ingredients of a healthy meal.
Potatoes – 2 (small)
Sabut Moong Dal (Whole green gram) – 1 cup (soaked overnight )
Onion – 1 (large)
Capsicum – 1/2 part of a large capsicum (I have used red and green capsicum)
Tomato – 1 (large)
Roasted Peanuts- 2 tbsp
Green chilli – as per taste
Corriander- 1/2 cup
Jeera (Cumin) powder – 1/2 tsp
Black Salt – 1/2 tsp
Salt – as per taste
Lemon juice – 1.5 tsp
1. Boil the potatoes and let them cool down completely
2. Boil the Sabut Moong dal for about 15 minutes. Let it cool down completely.
3. Dice the onion, carrot, red capsicum, tomato and boiled potatoes into small cubes.
4. Finely chop the green chillies and coriander.
5. Mix the diced vegetables, moong dal and peanuts together.
6. Now add the black salt, salt , lemon finely chopped green chillies and coriander and mix well.
7. The chaat is ready to be served.
I like my vegetable chaat this way. But it also tastes good with mint chutney and tamarind(imli) chutney.
Hope you guys like the dish 🙂